Orchestra Auditions - Strings
String players audition each semester for placement into one of three orchestras.
UI Symphony Orchestra (TR 1:00-3:50 PM)
Philharmonia Orchestra (MW 3:00-4:50 PM)
Illini Strings (M 7:00-9:20 PM)
1. If you are a non-music major string player interested in auditioning for the UI Symphony Orchestra, you must take the Advanced Audition and play the required excerpts (see below).
2. If you are a non-music major string player wanting to audition for the UI Philharmonia Orchestra or Illini Strings, you will prepare 3 minutes or less of music of your choice. Two contrasting pieces or excerpts are preferred; these may be taken from standard orchestral excerpts, solo repertoire, etudes, or concertos. For all Harp audition questions, please email Professor Ann Yeung.
NOTE: Orchestra placements are based on audition and not on your availability based on your class schedule. If you are placed in an orchestra that does not fit your fall schedule, we invite you to try to revise your schedule to include the orchestra in which you were placed. Otherwise, we are happy to hold a spot for you for spring semester in the orchestra for which you were place based on your fall audition.
Access to School of Music lockers and practice rooms for non-majors is expected to be limited and will be handled on a first-come first-served basis. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or stop by the properties room in the lower level of the Music Building for more information.
Advanced Audition for Strings
For placement in the University of Illinois Symphony Orchestra (UISO)
- The Advanced Audition is required for all string BMUS, BME, MM, and DMA music majors in the School of Music who must participate in a major ensemble each semester as part of their degree program. BA in Music and BS (CS+Music) majors.
- Non-music majors are welcome to take this audition, but are not required to.
- Students not placed un UISO as a result of this audition will be recommended for UIPO or Illini Strings.
- Download audition excerpts for your instrument.
- Schedule an audition
- Results are posted within a day or two and students then register for the appropriate section.
Standard Audition for Strings
For placement in the University of Illinois Philharmonia Orchestra (UIPO) or Illini Strings.
- Any non-music major student playing violin, viola, cello or double bass.
- Please prepare three (3) minutes of music of your choice. Two (2) contrasting pieces or excerpts are preferred.
- Show up during the audition time frame; report to Orchestra Rehearsal Room (ORR) on Krannert Level 2. First come-first served and no reservation needed. Auditions will take place in the Krannert Center Foellinger Great Hall.
- Wednesday, January 18, 6:30-8:30 PM
- Thursday, January 19, 6:30-8:30 PM
- Results are sent within a day or two and students then register for the appropriate section.
Questions may be emailed to email@example.com.