Follow these instructions to apply for a graduate degree program. If you have questions, please reach out via Email.
- Complete the Graduate College Application, including the following materials:
- Transcripts from every institution from which you have earned a degree
- Three (3) Letters of Reference
- One academic statement (1000 words max) and a series of short answer Personal Statements.
- Resume or C.V.
- DMA applicants only: Upload one sample of your scholarly writing about music (e.g., program notes or a research paper from a music theory/analysis, music history or composition class).
- English Proficiency Exam: All applicants whose native language is not English must provide a passing TOEFL, IELTS, or DuoLingo score to be considered for admission to the University of Illinois School of Music.
- Refer to the relevant degree page for more details on program-specific application requirements.
Please review the important Dates and Deadlines for Graduate Application.
Graduate application important dates
September 1: Application for Fall 2023 term opens
December 1: Application Deadline (for all programs except Summer-Only MME)
December 1: Prescreening deadline. Programs that require prescreening include: conducting (orchestral, wind band, and choral), flute, saxophone, and voice
January 15: Graduate deadline to upload audition recording (for applicants who are submitting a video audition in lieu of a live audition).
February 15: Summer MME application deadline
March 1-15: Admissions decision sent
March 15 – April 15: Notification of merit-based financial aid sent
April 15: Deadline to submit intent to enroll