Oboe Audition Requirements
Undergraduate requirements (BM, BME)
Prospective students will be evaluated on skills of tonal production, intonation, musicality, lyrical phrasing, rhythmic accuracy, technical proficiency, and overall musical experience. The student will be asked to perform:
• Major and minor scales.
• Two contrasting etudes demonstrating lyrical phrasing and technical proficiency.
• Two or more contrasting movements from the standard solo repertoire.
• Two or more oboe solo excerpts from the standard orchestral repertoire.
Undergraduate applicants who would like to submit a recorded audition should follow the steps outlined here. All students who submit a recorded audition will have a virtual interview with the faculty. Applicants can select their date preference on their supplemental music form.
Graduate requirements (MM, AD, DMA)
Prospective MM, AD, and DMA students should prepare thirty minutes of music demonstrating different styles, time periods, and forms (etudes, concerti, sonatas, and orchestral excerpts). In addition, applicants should prepare the following orchestral excerpts:
• Beethoven, Symphony Nr. 3 (Funeral March).
• Brahms, Violin Concerto (2nd mvmt. solo).
• Mendelssohn, Symphony Nr. 3 “Scottish” Vivace non troppo (at letter A and after letter B).
• Shostakovich Symphony Nr. 5 (3rd mvmt. solo, after 84).
• Stravinsky, Pulcinella, larghetto (at 8).
Graduate applicants who would like to submit a recorded audition should upload the audition directly to their Graduate College application. Graduate applicants who submit a recorded audition will also register for a virtual interview with the faculty. Applicants can register for their interview after submitting the Graduate College application.