Flute Audition Requirements
Undergraduate requirements (BM, BME)
Three or more contrasting movements or pieces from the solo, sonata, or concerto repertoire, demonstrating artistry, lyrical phrasing, and technical proficiency.
Undergraduate applicants who would like to submit a recorded audition should follow the steps outlined here.
All students who submit a recorded audition will have a virtual interview with the faculty, and should be prepared to play selections from that repertoire in their live online interview.
Graduate requirements (MM, DMA)
Pre-screening requirement: All graduate flute applicants are required to submit a pre-screening recording. Selections should include the following:
- Mozart Concerto in G Major, K 313, or D Major, K 314, first movement exposition.
- One contrasting piece from the standard solo repertoire.
- The following orchestral excerpts: 1) Beethoven: Leonore Overture No. 3 – measures 328 – 360 ; 2) Mendelssohn: Scherzo from A Midsummer Night’s Dream – 2 measures before P to the end ; 3) Brahms: Symphony No. 4, movement IV – measures 93 – 105.
Live/Recorded Audition Requirements: Applicants for the MM and DMA in flute should prepare:
- Mozart Concerto in G Major, K 313, or D Major, K 314.
- A Baroque period sonata by Bach or Telemann.
- Romantic or 20th/21st century piece(s) of choice.
- 5 orchestral excerpts displaying a variety of styles.
All applicants submitting a pre-recorded sound file in lieu of a live audition should be prepared to play selections from that repertoire in their live online interview. Graduate applicants can upload their final audition recording to the Graduate College application.