English Proficiency Requirement
Additional requirements for graduate applicants who are non-native speakers of English.
All applicants whose native language is not English must provide a TOEFL or IELTS score to be considered for admission to the University of Illinois School of Music.
Official TOEFL iBT or IELTS score reports must be submitted by December 1st for full admission consideration. Scores reported after this date will be accepted; however, in such instances the University of Illinois School of Music cannot guarantee that an applicant will receive full consideration for admission (or an audition, if applicable). The latest date scores will be accepted is January 15, 2019.
Please note the following:
• The University of Illinois School of Music does not offer exemptions to the TOEFL/IELTS requirement based on prior study at an English-speaking institution unless the applicant has continuously lived in a country where English is the primary language for a minimum of 10 years, and/or has completed both high school and undergraduate study at an English-speaking institution.
• Test scores must be less than two years old from the first day of class at the proposed term of entry in order to be valid.
• Official score reports are required to be submitted directly from TOEFL/ETS (institution code 1836, department code 00) or IELTS.
• In accordance with the University of Illinois Graduate College English Proficiency Requirement for International Teaching Assistants, the School of Music requires a score of 24 or higher on the speaking portion of the TOEFL iBT or a minimum score of an 8 on the IELTS for any international applicant wishing to be considered for a teaching assistantship.
Minimum TOEFL score requirements:
• Artist Diploma (AD): 79 iBT
• Master of Music (MM), excluding MME and Musicology: 90 iBT
• MME; MM Musicology; DMA; PhD: 96 iBT
Minimum IELTS score requirements:
• Artist Diploma (AD): 6.5
• Master of Music (MM), excluding MME and Musicology: 6.5
• must have a score of 6 or higher in all sub-sections of the IELTS
• MME; MM Musicology; DMA; PhD: 7
• must have a score of 6.5 or higher in all sub-sections of the IELTS
If you have any questions about the TOEFL/IELTS requirements, please feel free to contact the Music Admissions Office.
Materials required for the I-20:
These requirements must be met by May 15th. To avoid delays processing your I-20, we recommend that all materials (including official bank statements and Declaration and Certification of Finances form) be submitted on or as close to the December 1st deadline date for all other items. If your materials are submitted in May, your I-20 will NOT be available until mid to late June. All applicants are responsible for the cost of shipment for their I-20s. The School of Music will be in contact with you to make arrangements.
The following materials should be uploaded to your University Application:
• Declaration and Certification of Finances Form
• Official Bank Statements (be sure to review acceptable forms of documentation)
• Complete the International Student Verification Form through your application.