Jazz Guitar Audition Requirements
Undergraduate requirements (BM, BME)
- In all keys, show knowledge of major and melodic minor (either “jazz” or traditional) scales in several positions, at least 3 and ideally 7.
- For recorded auditions prepare one key of major and one key of melodic minor.
- Prepare 2 tunes in contrasting style, including one Be-bop. Suggestions for Be-bop tunes include: “Au Privave”, “Joy Spring”, “Jordu”, and “Donna Lee”. Suggestions for a non Be-bop piece include: “Inner Urge”,So What”, “Ceora”, “Recorda-Me”, and “Up Jumped Spring”. With each, plan to play the head, solo, and also comp.
Undergraduate applicants who would like to submit a recorded audition should follow the steps outlined here. All students who submit a recorded audition will have a virtual interview with the faculty. Applicants can select their date preference on their supplemental music form.
Graduate requirements (MM, DMA)
• A complete performance of a jazz ballad, including one chorus of the harmonized melody as well as an improvised single-line solo. Suggested tunes: Chelsea Bridge, But Beautiful, Miyako, For Heaven’s Sake, Estate, or other tune of the applicant’s choice.
• Two jazz tunes in contrasting style, including one Be-bop tune. Each piece should demonstrate a personalized interpretation of the melody, an improvised solo, and one or more choruses of comping. Suggestions for Be- bop tunes include: Au Privave, Joy Spring, Jordu, Yardbird Suite, and Donna Lee. Suggestions for a non Be-bop piece include Milestones (new version), Giant Steps, Ceora, Moment’s Notice, and One Finger Snap or other.
• One piece of European “classical” music either composed or transcribed for the guitar. This may be an etude or an excerpt from a sonata or suite: Bach cello suites or violin partitas, for example. This may be performed finger style (classical guitar), with a plectrum, or as a combination of the two. As an alternative, an original composition for solo guitar may be substituted.
Graduate applicants who would like to submit a recorded audition should upload the audition directly to their Graduate College application. Graduate applicants who submit a recorded audition will also register for a virtual interview with the faculty. Applicants can register for their interview after submitting the Graduate College application.