Professional Internship and Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Professional Internship and Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

CPT and MUS 459 – Updated August 2020 – Click for Info

For Academic Year: contact Dr. Ann Yeung

For Summer: contact Jenny Phillips

MUS 459: Professional Internship

Students completing an internship may earn academic credit for the experience by registering for MUS 459: Professional Internship. If you are interested in enrolling in MUS 459 during the academic year, please review the five steps below.

STEP ONE: Review the Procedures for Internship document.

STEP TWO: To request permission to enroll in MUS 459: Professional Internship, please complete the Internship Request Approval Form. This document must be signed by the Internship Supervisor and Faculty Instructor. It should then be sent electronically to the Instructor of Record, Dr. Ann Yeung. This form is required for every internship opportunity, so if you have multiple jobs you will need to fill out multiple request forms.

STEP THREE: If Dr. Yeung approves your enrollment in MUS 459: Professional Internship, she will email you and cc Jenny Phillips, who will enroll you in MUS 459: Professional Internship.

STEP FOUR: A new CPT form is required for every paid position and must be submitted 7 days before the start of employment.  International students who wish to apply for Curricular Practical Training (CPT) should review the documentation provided by ISSS online.  To apply for CPT, complete the online application on the ISSS Website. Please select Jennifer Phillips as the CPT departmental approver. Log out

STEP FIVE: Upon completion of the internship (or at the end of each semester of enrollment in MUS 459), the following document (Student’s evaluation) must be submitted electronically.

Please direct questions regarding MUS 459: Professional Internship to Dr. Ann Yeung.

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

What is Curricular Practical Training?

  • CPT allows students on F-1 visas to take temporary off-campus employment.
  • The employment must be directly related to a student’s major field of study and an integral or important part of the program of study.
  • CPT is authorized by ISSS upon receipt of the correct application materials.

Because field-related work opportunities in music are not required for a graduate degree in music, students must register for a class with a formal work component (MUS 459 Professional Internship).

Who is eligible?

  • F-1 students who have completed one full academic year of full-time study in the US immediately prior to the semester of their requested CPT work authorization. If you are unsure if you qualify for CPT, please contact ISSS.
Cookie Settings