Trumpet Audition Requirements
UNDERGRADUATE REQUIREMENTS (BM, BME)
The candidate should demonstrate healthy tone production resulting in comfortable playing in all registers, and good musicianship including a beautiful sound, a strong sense of rhythm, attention to good phrasing and a steady tempo. The student will be asked to perform:
1. The Exposition of the first movement of either the Haydn Concerto in E Flat or the Hummel Concerto in E Flat (candidate’s choice)
2. Charlier: Étude Transcendantes #2 or #4 or #6 (candidate’s choice)
3 Solo work of candidates choice
4. Scales and Arpeggios
Undergraduate applicants who would like to submit a recorded audition should follow the steps outlined here: recorded audition. All students who submit a recorded audition will have a virtual interview with the faculty on one of the auditions dates. Applicants can select their date preference on their supplemental music form.
GRADUATE REQUIREMENTS (MM, DMA)
1. The candidate should be prepared to play two complete works originally written for the trumpet from the standard solo repertoire (typically works taken from his/her culminating undergraduate recital). At least one of these should be a multi-movement work. (i.e. Sonata or Concerto). Typical works include Concertos by Haydn, Hummel, Tomasi, Gregson, and Arutunian and/or sonatas by Stevens, Kennan, Hindemith, Ewazen. Single movement works by Honegger, Enesco, and Glazunov (Note: In this situation the Arutunian Concerto is a multi-movement work).
2. At least one movement of a solo work on Piccolo Trumpet (original or transcription)
3. Scales and Arpeggios
4. Orchestral Excerpts:
• Mussourgsky/Ravel: Pictures at an Exhibition (Promenade)
• Mahler: Symphony #5 (opening)
• Resphigi: Pines of Rome (off stage)
• Stravinsky: Petrouchka (Ballerina’s Dance and Waltz)
*No exceptions without the prior approval of Professor Romm or Professor Daval
Graduate applicants who would like to submit a recorded audition should upload the audition directly to their Graduate College application. Graduate applicants who submit a recorded audition will also register for a virtual interview with the faculty on one of the audition dates. Applicants can register for their interview after submitting the Graduate College application.