Jazz Guitar Audition Requirements
UNDERGRADUATE REQUIREMENTS (BM, BME)
- In all keys, show knowledge of major and melodic minor (either “jazz” or traditional) scales in several positions, at least 3 and ideally 7.
- For recorded auditions prepare one key of major and one key of melodic minor.
- Prepare 2 tunes in contrasting style, including one Be-bop. Suggestions for Be-bop tunes include: "Au Privave", "Joy Spring", "Jordu", and "Donna Lee". Suggestions for a non Be-bop piece include: "Inner Urge",So What", "Ceora", "Recorda-Me", and "Up Jumped Spring". With each, plan to play the head, solo, and also comp.
Undergraduate applicants who would like to submit a recorded audition should follow the steps outlined here: recorded audition. All students who submit a recorded audition will have a virtual interview with the faculty on one of the auditions dates. Applicants can select their date preference on their supplemental music form.
GRADUATE REQUIREMENTS (MM, DMA)
1. A complete performance of a jazz ballad, including one chorus of the harmonized melody as well as an improvised single-line solo. Suggested tunes: Chelsea Bridge, But Beautiful, Miyako, For Heaven’s Sake, Estate, or other tune of the applicant's choice
2. Two jazz tunes in contrasting style, including one Be-bop tune. Each piece should demonstrate a personalized interpretation of the melody, an improvised solo, and one or more choruses of comping. Suggestions for Be- bop tunes include: Au Privave, Joy Spring, Jordu, Yardbird Suite, and Donna Lee. Suggestions for a non Be-bop piece include Milestones (new version), Giant Steps, Ceora, Moment’s Notice, and One Finger Snap or other.
3. One piece of European “classical” music either composed or transcribed for the guitar. This may be an etude or an excerpt from a sonata or suite: Bach cello suites or violin partitas, for example. This may be performed finger style (classical guitar), with a plectrum, or as a combination of the two. As an alternative, an original composition for solo guitar may be substituted.
Graduate applicants who would like to submit a recorded audition should upload the audition directly to their Graduate College application. Graduate applicants who submit a recorded audition will also register for a virtual interview with the faculty on one of the audition dates. Applicants can register for their interview after submitting the Graduate College application.