Graduate Wind Band Conducting Audition Requirements
1. Submit a pre-screening video of approximately 20 minutes which includes conducting in both rehearsal and performance. For both, the camera should be placed at the back of the ensemble with the focus on the front of the conductor. Include the date(s) and name of the performing ensemble(s). Both small and large ensemble excerpts are acceptable. Rehearsal segments must be conducted in English. Please take one minute at the beginning of your video to introduce yourself and briefly describe your goals in pursuing a graduate degree in conducting.
2. Upload a repertory list of conducted wind band works performed to the "Program-Specific Questions" in the University Application. A limited number of applicants will be invited to audition. Invited applicants will be contacted soon after January 1 to arrange an on-campus audition. Interviews and additional testing will take place at the live auditions.
EDIT: Prescreening results will be released in early January. The second step of wind band auditions will be virtual. Dr. Peterson will follow up with invited applicants with more information. - 12/23/2020
All expenses for the audition/interview, which is required for admission, must be borne by the applicant. The audition/interview will consist of the following:
1. Conducting experience with one of the University of Illinois bands that will include live coaching with the ensemble. (see note above)
2. Interview with the band faculty.
3. Basic demonstration of aural skills, and transposition skills.
4. Score identification (standard wind band repertoire) - DMA only.
Please see the Illinois Bands website for more information.