Graduate Vocal Coaching and Accompanying Audition Requirements
1. A solo movement of the applicant’s choice (memorization not required).
2. Rondo (second movement) from Beethoven's Cello Sonata No. 1 in F major
3. One of the following, to be sung and played by the applicant in the key of the applicant’s choice:
- “C’est l’extase langoureuse” from Ariettes Oubliées by Claude Debussy and Paul Verlaine
- “Jesus bettelt (Schenk mir deinen goldenen Kamm)” Op. 2 no. 2 by Arnold Schoenberg and Richard Dehmel
4. Applicants should be prepared to play and sing any part of the following:
- 3rd Act quartet “Dunque proprio finita!...” from La Bohème by Giacomo Puccini
- "Big News!" from Parade by Jason Robert Brown
5. A sight-reading excerpt
Non-Accompanying candidates may apply for an Accompanying Assistantship by emailing their intent to audition to the Music Admissions office after they have passed the pre-screening requirement. Assistantship auditions will occur on the same day as the applicant's major audition.
Please note: Applicants auditioning for the Accompanying Assistantship need only prepare requirements 1 and 2 and will be asked to sight-read.
In addition, each applicant should bring to the audition a repertory list of vocal and instrumental (winds and strings) accompanying s/he has done. Include ensemble, chamber music, choral accompanying, and any experience with opera or music theatre. The vocal repertory need not be detailed and specific by titles, but should be represented in terms of composers covered. This will aid in determining divisional and studio assignments should an assistantship be awarded. Applicants will also be asked to sight-read during the audition.