Graduate Vocal Coaching and Accompanying Audition Requirements
Applicants will prepare 6 total selections. Requirements 4 – 6 are to be sung and played simultaneously by the applicant.
1. A solo movement of the applicant’s choice (memorization not required).
2. One movement from any string sonata or chamber work by Beethoven or Brahms. (A collaborative partner will be provided or applicant will play the piano part alone during the audition.)
3. One art song of applicant’s choosing. (Selection does not need to be in original key.)
4. “Mandoline” by Debussy or Fauré (any key)
5. Third Act quartet “Dunque proprio finita!…” from La Bohème by Giacomo Puccini (sing one of the roles)
6. “Big News!” from Parade by Jason Robert Brown
All auditions will automatically be considered for assistantships.
In addition, each applicant should submit at their interview a repertory list of vocal and instrumental (winds and strings) accompanying s/he/they have done. Include ensemble, chamber music, choral accompanying, and any experience with opera or music theatre. The vocal repertory need not be detailed and specific by titles, but should be represented in terms of composers covered. This will aid in determining divisional and studio assignments should an assistantship be awarded.
Applicants who choose to submit a recording in lieu of a live auditions should video record all of the selections above. Recorded auditions will be followed up with a virtual interview on January 30th. Applicant should have access to a keyboard, and a printer or device to read music as sight-reading will be required. Audition recordings can be uploaded directly to the Graduate College application, and are due January 15th.
Audition requirements for Non-Accompanying majors interested in applying for the assistantship can be found here.