Piano Pedagogy Audition Requirements
Undergraduate Audition Requirements (BM - Open Studies)
1. One of the following options (memorization optional)
- Two movements from a Bach Suite, Partita, or Toccata
- A Prelude and Fugue from Bach’s Well-Tempered Clavier Book 1or 2
- A movement from a Bach Keyboard Concerto
- Two Sonatas by Scarlatti
- Two Pièces de Clavecin by Rameau, Couperin, or another French Baroque composer
2. One of the following options (memorization optional)
- One movement from a classical or romantic sonata
- A romantic character piece (such as a Chopin Impromptu or a piece out of Schumann’s cycles)
- One movement from an impressionist set of pieces (such as Debussy’s Pour le Piano or the Preludes)
- A 20th- or 21st-century work of any length. (This option may include contemporary and living composers)
3. One of the following options:
- A piano harmonization or arrangement of a song (any genre/length)
- A short piano improvisation in any style
- A piano composition of any length
- A videotaped teaching session (one-on-one or group piano setting, any level)
- A videotaped performance of a chamber music work (with any instrument, combination of instruments, or voice)
4. A one-page teaching philosophy (uploaded to School of Music dropbox)
Applicants for the BM-Open Studies who prefer to submit a recording audition can upload their recordings to the School of Music dropbox.
Graduate Audition Requirements (MM)
Applicants for the M.M. program should present an audition that includes the following: a complete Baroque work, one major work from the Classical period, one major work from the Romantic period, and one major work from the twentieth century.
Note: Piano Pedagogy candidates may also apply for an Accompanying Assistantship.
Graduate applicants who would like to submit a recorded audition should upload the audition directly to their Graduate College application. Graduate applicants who submit a recorded audition will also register for a virtual interview with the faculty on one of the audition dates. Applicants can register for their interview after submitting the Graduate College application.