Jazz Piano Audition Requirements
UNDERGRADUATE REQUIREMENTS (BM, BME)
Applicants should be prepared to play a twenty-minute audition consisting of three or more contrasting jazz pieces. Additionally, the applicant should be prepared to play two or more contrasting classical pieces. The jazz piano audition is combined with the classical piano audition and both are required for admittance to the Jazz Performance degree programs. Music should be memorized and include a work by J.S. Bach and a movement of a classical sonata.
1. Ballad: I Can’t Get Started, In A Sentimental Mood, Misty, What’s New, When Sunny Gets Blue
2. 12 Bar-Blues: Au Privave, Billies Bounce, Now’s The Time, Straight No Chaser
3. Medium-Up Tempo Swing: All The Things You Are, Autumn Leaves, How High The Moon, Just In Time, My Romance, Stella By Starlight.
4. Jazz Standards: Confirmation, Donna Lee, Oleo, Ornithology.
5. Latin: Black Orpheus, Blue Bossa, The Girl From Ipanema, Wave, Green Dolphin Street.
6. Tunes in 3/4: Bluesette, Someday My Prince Will Come, Tenderly, Valse Hot, Alice in Wonderland.
Music typical of undergraduate auditions includes selections from any of the following, as well as many other works of the standard piano repertoire from the Baroque through the contemporary era:
• Bach: French Suites or Well-Tempered Clavier
• Haydn, Mozart or Beethoven: first movement of a sonata
• Chopin: Nocturnes or Etudes
• Brahms: Intermezzi
• Debussy: Preludes
• Bartok: Suite, Op. 14
• George Crumb: A Little Suite for Christmas
GRADUATE REQUIREMENTS (MM, DMA)
1. One blues head (in F or Bb). Students will be asked to play the melody, then comp (piano and guitar only), and finally improvise on the changes.
2. One jazz standard any style. Students will be asked to play the melody, then comp (piano and guitar only), and finally improvise on the changes.
3. One rhythm changes tune. Students will be asked to play the melody, then comp (piano and guitar only), and finally improvise on the changes.
4. Demonstrate major, jazz melodic minor, harmonic minor and harmonic major scales, diminished, tritone, and augmented scales. Demonstrate all major modes in all keys and blues scales in all keys.