Jazz Bass Audition Requirements
UNDERGRADUATE REQUIREMENTS (BM, BME)
• Major scales, arco, in two octaves in all keys. For recorded auditions, please prepare 2-3 keys.
•Two pieces from contrasting jazz styles, one of which is a be-bop tune. Demonstrate a personal interpretation of the melody, an improvised solo, several choruses of walking bass. Suggestions for Be-bop tunes include: "Au Privave", "Billie's Bounce", "Tricotism", and "Joy Spring". Suggestions for non Be-bop tunes include: "Autumn Leaves", "I'm Old-Fashioned", "Beatrice", "Dolphin Dance", and "Ceora"
Undergraduate applicants who would like to submit a recorded audition should follow the steps outlined here: recorded audition. All students who submit a recorded audition will have a virtual interview with the faculty on one of the auditions dates. Applicants can select their date preference on their supplemental music form.
GRADUATE REQUIREMENTS (MM, DMA)
Graduate applicants who would like to submit a recorded audition should upload the audition directly to their Graduate College application. Graduate applicants who submit a recorded audition will also register for a virtual interview with the faculty on one of the audition dates. Applicants can register for their interview after submitting the Graduate College application.
• Major and melodic minor scales played arco, in two to three octaves and in all keys. For recorded auditions prepare one key of major and one key of melodic minor.
• Prepare a 2-octave whole tone scale from Bb.
2. Walking Bass:
• “New York” major blues in four keys (as is the tune Blues for Alice by Charlie Parker)
• One of the following up-tempo compositions: Moment’s Notice, Giant Steps, and One Finger Snap
• Two pieces in contrasting styles, one of which is a Be-bop tune. Demonstrate a personal interpretation of the melody, an improvised solo, one or more choruses of walking bass, and the ability to also accompany in a “two beat” style, with appropriate fills and inflections. Suggestions for Be-bop tunes include: Little Willie Leaps, Milestones (old version/Charlie Parker) Billie’s Donna Lee, Tricotism, and Joy Spring. Suggestions for non-Be-bop tunes include Fee-Fi-Fo-Fum, Nefertiti, Beatrice, and Dolphin Dance.
Arranger/composer applicants must complete the following additional requirements:
• Show a portfolio of your arrangements/compositions at your audition as well as recordings of those works.
• Demonstrate the ability to harmonize a lead-line using 4-part closed position voicings and 4-way drop-two voicings.
• Demonstrate a working knowledge of transpositions and ranges of instruments found in a contemporary jazz setting.