Jazz Bass Audition Requirements
UNDERGRADUATE REQUIREMENTS (BM, BME)
• Major scales, arco, in two octaves in all keys. For recorded auditions, please prepare 2-3 keys.
• Two pieces from contrasting jazz styles, one of which is a be-bop tune. Demonstrate a personal interpretation of the melody, an improvised solo, several choruses of walking bass. Suggestions for Be-bop tunes include: "Au Privave", "Billie's Bounce", "Tricotism", and "Joy Spring". Suggestions for non Be-bop tunes include: "Autumn Leaves", "I'm Old-Fashioned", "Beatrice", "Dolphin Dance", and "Ceora"
Undergraduate applicants who would like to submit a recorded audition should follow the steps outlined here: recorded audition. All students who submit a recorded audition will have a virtual interview with the faculty. Applicants can select their date preference on their supplemental music form.
GRADUATE REQUIREMENTS (MM, DMA)
• Major and melodic minor scales played arco, in two to three octaves and in all keys. For recorded auditions prepare one key of major and one key of melodic minor.
• Prepare a 2-octave whole tone scale from Bb.
2. Walking Bass:
• “New York” major blues in four keys (as is the tune Blues for Alice by Charlie Parker)
• One of the following up-tempo compositions: Moment’s Notice, Giant Steps, and One Finger Snap
• Two pieces in contrasting styles, one of which is a Be-bop tune. Demonstrate a personal interpretation of the melody, an improvised solo, one or more choruses of walking bass, and the ability to also accompany in a “two beat” style, with appropriate fills and inflections. Suggestions for Be-bop tunes include: Little Willie Leaps, Milestones (old version/Charlie Parker) Billie’s Donna Lee, Tricotism, and Joy Spring. Suggestions for non-Be-bop tunes include Fee-Fi-Fo-Fum, Nefertiti, Beatrice, and Dolphin Dance.
Arranger/composer applicants must complete the following additional requirements:
• Show a portfolio of your arrangements/compositions at your audition as well as recordings of those works.
• Demonstrate the ability to harmonize a lead-line using 4-part closed position voicings and 4-way drop-two voicings.
• Demonstrate a working knowledge of transpositions and ranges of instruments found in a contemporary jazz setting.
Graduate applicants who would like to submit a recorded audition should upload the audition directly to their Graduate College application. Graduate applicants who submit a recorded audition will also register for a virtual interview with the faculty. Applicants can register for their interview after submitting the Graduate College application.