Harpsichord Audition Requirements
UNDERGRADUATE REQUIREMENTS (BM, BME)
Candidates may be admitted without any previous harpsichord experience, provided they have had prior organ or piano training. Applicants should prepare three works that best show their interests and abilities, to include the following repertoire (memorization is optional.):
1. A composition by J.S. Bach, such as a suite or prelude and fugue from the Well-Tempered Clavier
2. A piece from the French harpsichord school by L. Couperin, F. Couperin, or Rameau
3. A sonata by D. Scarlatti
GRADUATE REQUIREMENTS (MM, DMA)
All graduate applicants should prepare an audition consisting of one major work of J.S. Bach, along with contrasting works from at least three other national styles, to be chosen from the following repertoire. Memorization for harpsichord auditions is optional.
1. A toccata by Frescobaldi or Froberger
2. A piece from the virginalist school
3. A French suite by L. Couperin, d’Anglebert, F. Couperin, or Rameau
4. Two contrasting sonatas by Scarlatti or Soler
• Applicants for the M.M. degree should be prepared to play for twenty minutes.
• Applicants for the D.M.A. degree should be prepared to play for thirty minutes