Audition Information for Jazz Ensembles
This fall all students will be a part of the Jazz Combo program.
GENERAL AUDITION INFORMATION
FALL 2020 - NEW AND RETURNING STUDENTS
For Guitar, Double Bass and Drums, use this link to submit your audition recording for Fall 2020 Jazz placement. All other voice/instruments, please contact the individual studio teacher for your voice/instrument to schedule an audition. Auditions may be held via Zoom or in some cases in person.
JAZZ SAXOPHONE AUDITION INFORMATION
Contact Chip McNeill
The audition will consist of sight-reading some jazz charts and improvising on a blues in the key of your choice and improvising on one of these jazz standards: All The Things You Are in A-flat, Just Friends in F or G, Stella By Starlight in B-flat.
JAZZ VOICE AUDITION INFORMATION
Contact Barrington Coleman
Auditions for the Jazz Vocal Combos will occur Monday through Wednesday, August 24-26 and are scheduled by appointment with Barrington Coleman.
JAZZ TRUMPET AND TROMBONE AUDITION INFORMATION
TRUMPETS: Contact Tito Carrillo
- Perform a few selected major, Dorian, and/or Mixolydian scales
- Perform a prepared piece in a jazz style (solo transcription, jazz etude, or 2 bebop heads)
- Improvise over Sandu (Blues in Eb)
- Improvise over a Great American Songbook standard tune or a jazz standard tune(composed by a jazz musician) of your choice
TROMBONES: Contact Jim Pugh
- ALL: Scales (2 octaves in all 12 keys):
- Undergrads: Major, Dorian, Aeolian (natural minor), harmonic minor
- Grads: Major + other 6 church modes, Jazz minor, whole tone, diminished & aux diminished
- Melody and 2 choruses of improvisation on Billie’s Bounce (blues in F; play melody in lower octave)
- Melody and 2 choruses of improvisation on Autumn Leaves (G minor)
- Email Prof. Pugh directly (email@example.com) if you need play-along tracks.
JAZZ PIANO/VIBES AUDITION INFORMATION
Contact John “Chip” Stephens
The audition will consist of:
1. Sight-reading some jazz charts and improvising on one of these jazz standards: All The Things You Are in A-flat, Just Friends in F or G, and Stella By Starlight in B-flat. The following repertoire is required of all students auditioning:
2. Blues in the key of F - melody plus improvising & comping.
3. B-flat Rhythm changes – melody plus improvising & comping. (Pianists, guitarist and vibraphonists must demonstrate their ability to comp effectively on the above material. Bassists must demonstrate their ability to walk bass lines on the above material.
4. A solo composition of your choice; jazz standard, ballad, original etc.
5. Sight reading
JAZZ GUITAR AUDITION INFORMATION - UPDATED 8/7/2020
Contact Larry Gray
Audition will be by video recording (mp4 or .mov) which is to be submitted before August 24. For each tune play the head (melody) and solo. Also show some chordal playing, either soloistic block chords or comping (i.e. playing chords as in a rhythm section, supporting a soloist). You can use a play along recording or play unaccompanied.
1. Out of Nowhere
2. Au Privave
JAZZ BASS AUDITION INFORMATION - UPDATED 8/7/2020
Contact Larry Gray
Audition will be by video recording (mp4 or .mov) which is to be submitted before August 24. For each tune play the head (melody), walk and solo. You should prepare one chorus of each but can do more if you like. Choose the format with which you’ll be most comfortable- you can either play unaccompanied or use a play along track, either just drums or with chords as well.
1. Autumn Leaves in G Minor
2. Billie’s Bounce (blues in F)
JAZZ DRUM SET AUDITION INFORMATION - UPDATED 8/7/2020
Joel Spencer, instructor
Audition will be by video recording (mp4 or .mov) and submitted before August 24. The audition will require a demonstration of the following musical styles.
I. Jazz: Oleo (by Sonny Rollins)
Perform as follows: quarter-note = 200-250 bpm
- Chorus 1: Interpret melody over drums (Hi-Hat on 2 & 4 throughout)
- Chorus 2: Trade 8s (8-bars time :I: 8-bars solo)
- Chorus 3: Trade 4s (4-bars time :I: 4-bars solo)
- Chorus 4: Interpret melody over drums (Hi-Hat on 2 & 4 throughout)
II. Funk: Trade 4s (4-bars time :I: 4-bars solo)
Play for 1-minute: ¼-note = 100-150 bpm
III. Samba: Trade 8s (8-bars time :I: 8-bars solo)
Play for 1-minute: half-note = 125-150 bpm