The Illinois Community Music Academy is a collaborative community music school based at the University of Illinois. Its core mission is to provide an inclusive environment and to engage with the greater Champaign-Urbana community through musical experiences and amplifying musical voices of populations which have traditionally been underserved. We embrace the following values:
- We aim to provide a musically enriching, inclusive, and challenging environment that nurtures the maximum potential of each student, regardless of their future goals and ambitions.
- We aim to lay a strong technical and musical foundation for each student.
- We aim to offer opportunities for collaboration to students at all levels in the form of group classes, ensembles and performances.
- We employ highly skilled instructors, typically current graduate students in the School of Music, who demonstrate a passion for teaching.
- We aim to offer opportunities for development and pedagogical training for our instructors to guide their journey to becoming expert teachers.
We currently offer lessons on the following instruments:
- Woodwinds: Flute, Clarinet, Saxophone
- Brass: Trumpet, Horn, Trombone
- Strings: Violin, Viola, Cello, Guitar