Double Bass Audition Requirements
UNDERGRADUATE REQUIREMENTS (BM, BME)
1. Major, melodic minor, and harmonic minor scales up to three sharps and three flats, through two octaves.
2. An exercise or an etude from any standard method book or etude book.
3. Two solo compositions of contrasting style.
4. One orchestral excerpt from the following list: Mozart Symphony #40, movement 1, m. 113-138; Beethoven Symphony #5, movement 3, Trio; Tchaikovsky Symphony #4, movement 1, letter P to three after Q; Brahms Symphony #1, movement 1, letter E to first ending
Undergraduate applicants who would like to submit a recorded audition should follow the steps outlined here: recorded audition. All students who submit a recorded audition will have a virtual interview with the faculty on one of the auditions dates. Applicants can select their date preference on their supplemental music form.
GRADUATE REQUIREMENTS (MM, DMA)
1. Two solo compositions of contrasting style.
2. First movement of a concerto.
3. One movement of a Bach Cello Suite.
4. Two orchestral excerpts from the following list:
• Mozart, Symphony #40, movement 1, m. 113-138
• Beethoven, Symphony #5, movement 3, Trio
• Tchaikovsky, Symphony #4, movement 1, letter P to three after Q
• Brahms, Symphony #1, movement 1, letter E to first ending
• Mahler, Symphony #2, movement 1, beginning to number 2
• Verdi, Solo from Otello
• Ginastera, Solo from Variaciones Concertantes
Graduate applicants who would like to submit a recorded audition should upload the audition directly to their Graduate College application. Graduate applicants who submit a recorded audition will also register for a virtual interview with the faculty on one of the audition dates. Applicants can register for their interview after submitting the Graduate College application.