Cello Audition Requirements
UNDERGRADUATE REQUIREMENTS (BM, BME)
1. Any major and/or minor scale in three octaves.
2. One etude (preferably from the Popper High School of Cello Playing, or by Grutzmacher, Piatti, or Duport).
3. Two contrasting movements from a Bach Suite.
4. The first movement from one of the following concertos: Haydn C Major or D Major, Boccherini B-Flat Major or D Major, Saint-Saëns, Lalo, Dvorák, Schumann, Elgar, or Shostakovich.
Undergraduate applicants who would like to submit a recorded audition should follow the steps outlined here: recorded audition. All students who submit a recorded audition will have a virtual interview with the faculty on one of the auditions dates. Applicants can select their date preference on their supplemental music form.
Applicants for the M.M. degree must play a first movement of a standard concerto, two movements from a Bach Suite, and two additional contrasting works. Applicants for the D.M.A. degree must play the following:
1. A complete Bach Suite - performed by memory.
2. A complete major concerto - performed by memory.
3. A major work of contrasting style to the above.
Graduate applicants who would like to submit a recorded audition should upload the audition directly to their Graduate College application. Graduate applicants who submit a recorded audition will also register for a virtual interview with the faculty on one of the audition dates. Applicants can register for their interview after submitting the Graduate College application.